Hampton Roads Eye Associates is pleased to offer iStent surgery, or iStent Trabecular Micro Bypass, for the treatment of mild-to-moderate open angle glaucoma.
iStent is the smallest medical device ever approved by the FDA. The device is placed in your eye during cataract surgery, and is so small that you won’t be able to see or feel it after the procedure is over. iStent is designed to create a permanent opening in your trabecular meshwork, and works continuously to improve the outflow of fluid from your eyes to help control eye pressure.
How it works:
- If you have glaucoma, over time the eye’s natural drainage system becomes clogged
- iStent creates a permanent opening through the blockage to improve the eye’s natural outflow
- Restoring this mechanism lowers and controls pressure within the eye
Benefits of iStent:
- Is safely implanted during cataract surgery
- Spares important eye tissue that is often damaged by traditional surgeries
- Does not limit treatment options that could help maintain your vision in the future