Dry Eye Care in Newport News, Virginia
Dry eye is a common disorder, which occurs when there is not enough moisture in the eye. This is caused when there is a deficiency of the tear film from not producing enough of one’s own natural tears or an excessive evaporation of tears.
Dry Eye May Be Caused By:
- Low humidity
- Certain diseases
- Certain medications
- Prolonged reading, or near tasks such as computer work
The Symptoms of Dry Eye Include:
- A gritty sensation
- Light sensitivity
- Blurring of vision
- Difficulty working at a computer or reading
Diagnosing Dry Eye
Dry eye is diagnosed using a comprehensive eye examination, with special emphasis on the evaluation of the quantity and quality of tears produced by the eyes. During this test, our doctors will determine if your symptoms are caused by the structure of your eyelids, an underlying medical condition, any medications you are taking or if an environmental factor may be the problem.
Dry Eye Treatment
- Remembering to blink regularly when reading or staring at a computer screen for long periods of time.
- Increasing the level of humidity in the air at work and at home.
- Reducing exposure to drying winds and sun by wearing sunglasses outdoors.
- Avoiding becoming dehydrated by drinking plenty of water.