Dr. Denise R. Chamblee, M.D. – Virginia Pediatric Ophthalmology
Dr. Denise R. Chamblee, M.D. is a Board Certified and fellowship trained Pediatric Ophthalmologist. She joined Hampton Roads Eye Associates in 1993.
Dr. Denise Chamblee completed her Bachelor of Arts at the University of Texas at Austin, and received her Doctor of Medicine from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. She received intern training at the University of Oklahoma, where she also completed her residency in Ophthalmology. Dr. Chamblee completed additional fellowship training in pediatric ophthalmology at the Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, DC. with the “Father of Pediatric Ophthalmology,” Dr. Marshall Parks.
Dr. Chamblee is involved with the American Academy of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS) and the Children’s Eye Foundation. With these organizations, she is currently working on a national level public service project to ensure children have access to eye care and that ocular conditions are detected in time. If undetected or untreated, many conditions can have substantial long-term or irreversible implications for the quality of life of a child and their family. She is also a Board member of the Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company and An Achievable Dream School.
“There is something innately beautiful about days filled with children,” says Dr. Chamblee. “Their laughter, hugs and innocence keep me smiling, refreshed and focused on what is really important.” In her spare time, Dr. Chamblee enjoys kite surfing, hiking, snowboarding, golf, and spending time with friends and family.
Education & Training
- B.A., University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
- M.D., University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX
- Transitional Internship, University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK
- Ophthalmology Residency, University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK
- Pediatric Ophthalmology Fellowship, Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, DC
- Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and re-certified in 2012
- Fellowship trained pediatric ophthalmologist and member of American Academy of Ophthalmology and American Association of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
- Riverside Regional Medical Center
- Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters
- American Academy of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Virginia Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- Women in Ophthalmology
Awards & Honors
- Doctor of Dreams award from An Achievable Dream school 2010
- Voted Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Docs” 2012, 2011, 2017
- YWCA Woman of Distinction award 2012
- Community Builder award 2015
- Hampton Roads Magazine Top Doc/Super Doc 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
- Childrens’ Eye Foundation, Vice President of Programs 2005 – Present
- AAPOS Socioeconomic Committee, Chair 2004 – 2008
- Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company, Board Member 2008 – Present
- AAPOS Nominating Committee 2005
- Costenbader Society Scientific Program, Chair 2001 – 2008
- An Achievable Dream School, Board Member 2008 – Present