iStent Trabecular Micro Bypass
iStent Trabecular Micro Bypass is the first FDA approved ab interno MIGS device for the treatment of mild-to-moderate open angle glaucoma. Our very own Dr. Steven Kitay is a certified iStent surgeon and will perform this procedure.
While mild-to-moderate open-angle glaucoma is very common, many people are unaware of their condition, especially in the early stages, when their vision may be unaffected. In many people, open-angle glaucoma is characterized by an increase in the intraocular pressure (IOP) of your eye. This pressure is caused by the buildup of fluid with the eye. Too much fluid raises pressure, which can cause the gradual loss of vision. And while glaucoma moves slowly, its damage is irreparable.
iStent is the smallest medical device ever approved by the FDA. The device is placed in your eye during cataract surgery, and is so small that you won’t be able to see or feel it after the procedure is over. iStent is designed to create a permanent opening in your trabecular meshwork, and works continuously to improve the outflow of fluid from your eyes to help control eye pressure.
How it works:
- If you have glaucoma, over time the eye’s natural drainage system becomes clogged
- iStent creates a permanent opening through the blockage to improve the eye’s natural outflow
- Restoring this mechanism lowers and controls pressure within the eye
Benefits of iStent:
- Is safely implanted during cataract surgery
- Spares important eye tissue that is often damaged by traditional surgeries
- Does not limit treatment options that could help maintain your vision in the future