Dr. Robert G. Elgin is a Board Certified, fellowship trained Cornea and Anterior Segment specialist who offers the latest techniques for cornea transplants including DSAEK, cataract surgery, dry eye, glaucoma, diabetic exams, and general medical and surgical eye care. He completed his medical and residency training at the University of North Carolina, and his Cornea fellowship at one of the top ranked Ophthalmology programs, the University of Iowa.
Dr. Elgin received his undergraduate and medical school education at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. As a medical student, he published multiple papers on his research, for which he was awarded the Holderness Fellowship grant and indoctrinated into the John B. Graham Research Society.
Dr. Elgin trained in Ophthalmology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. After serving as Chief Resident he completed a Cornea and External Disease fellowship at the University of Iowa, where he published work and presented lectures on techniques in treating corneal disease.
Dr. Elgin, Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology since 1995, is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, the Virginia Society of Ophthalmology, the Newport News Medical Society, and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Education & Training
- B.A., University of North Carolina Chapel Hill College, Chapel Hill, NC
- M.D., University of North Carolina Chapel Hill College, Chapel Hill, NC
- Internal Medicine, University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, NC
- Ophthalmology Residency, University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, NC
- Cornea Fellowship, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- American Board of Ophthalmology
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Virginia Society of Ophthalmology
- Newport News Medical Society
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- Ocular Microbiology and Immunology Group
- John B Graham Research Society
Honors & Awards
- Chief Resident, UNC Ophthalmology